22.10.09


Natasha Wieschenberg has been a cancer survivor for 5 years now. She gracefully accepeted my invitation to interview her and I must say it was an honor. She got diagnosed in 2004 at the age of 40. She went through 5 long and painful months of chemotherapy. She tells me that cancer as bad of a disease as it is brought her a lot of good things in her life. She didn't stress over little stuff anymore. She came to realize who were her true friends. Her biggest fear was losing her hair, but after she did she came to love her new look. The previous year before her diagnosis, her father was walking down the street, fell and dies instantly. She therefore became her mother's caretaker adding a lot of stress. A few months later, her father's mother died because she got extremely depressed over her son's death. A few months after that, Natasha had to put her dog Samantha to sleep. To add more bad news, Natasha finds out that she has cancer. So after all these tragedies, she decides that this disease would not beat her. After she recuperated from the nerve damage the chemo had caused, she started cycling. Now she cycles to save lives. She volunteers to help others who are going through the same thing she went through. She won many medals and awards, but the most important one she's getting is the Luster for Life award. This award is being given to her by the American Cancer Society and it honors survivors of this devastating disease. When I was taking her pictures outside, all she kept on saying to me was "I hope my neighbors don't think I'm crazy." Natasha is a wonderful person and I was so honored to have met her. She's an inspiration to me because we become so overwhelmed with life sometimes that we forget it could be worse. I'm grateful for everything good and bad and when you meet a person with such enthusiasm and positive outlook for life, you realize that we only have one life to live and we must live. Tomorrow is never guaranteed so I try to live today and complain less. Thank you Natasha!

No comments: